Here's a flow chart of how the fediverse works.
You don't ever see all of the fediverse from one instance. The vast majority of what you see is people followed by people on your instance.
Hashtag searches are limited to that, too.
So if you want to make your bit of the fediverse good, you have to:
1) Boost cool stuff to all your followers on other instances, especially if they contain hashtags;
2) Use hashtags.
* Relays that show all public posts from some instances on other instances, provided they both subscribe
* Full text search on Pleroma (not limited to hashtags)
* Replies showing in timelines on Pleroma
* Posts you favorite get sent to all your followers on Pleroma
@cassolotl Also a reminder: Unlisted isn't really a privacy option, but it's super useful if you're posting quite a bit of content at once and don't want to "clog up" public timelines.
3) potentially get upset by some of the people you end up exposing yourself to and start blocking, reversing your progress
each Pleroma instance has a relay (this instance's relay URL is https://blob.cat/relay ), which relays all of their posts
there are also dedicated relays like relay.mastodon.host whose relay URL is https://relay.mastodon.host/actor but be warned, this relay will send you a TON of posts, probably more than you want, so I'd recommend just subscribing to instances instead